Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Car travel activities for kids

We Are planning a very long drive this week. We're hitting the road before sunup and pushing until way past bedtime. As a survival strategy I've prepared a giant collection of road trip activities for kids. In Only a short while our family will be taking a road trip. A Road trip. As In, begin driving at 3 AM and reach our destination after 10 PM. With five kids ages 7 and under. And No, we do not have a DVD player in our van. This May sound a little crazy, but seriously? Putting all seven of us in a hotel room with a baby still waking up every two hours seems a whole lot crazier. So I've been operating at a creating and collecting an assortment of actions to maintain my crew occupied for our big adventure.

Fairy Tale Coloring Pages

Here Are some fairy tale coloring pages which my Four, Five, and Seven will all appreciate. All these are a freebie I am now offering to my e-mail subscribers. Learn more about them in this post.

Road Trip Printables

Searched high and low for free road trip printables. These would be the best that I could find because not only are they out of talented bloggers, they are also simple to download and print. The Beautiful road trip drawing prompts (empty road and truck) are out of Picklebums. The Lovelyhand-drawn BINGO games are from Housing a Forest. The Simple and colorful Road Trip BINGO is from This Reading Mama. For Children who can read, Interstate BINGO is another interesting printable from This Reading Mama. My Seven and Five will delight in this one. The Car Scavenger Hunt is from a giant set of road trip printables out of 123Homeschool4Me.

Books on CD

Our Number one activity on long car rides is studying. Thankfully, my Seven and Five can read by themselves. However, my Four specifically does not have patience for long trips, and he's not prepared to read independently. I'll read aloud periodically, but it's not something I wish to perform for ten hours! That is where books on CD come in. I borrow from the library, store them in my CD holder, and reserve multiple copies of each book so each of those big children can follow alongwith I Also referred to my Best Picture Books for Kids Pinterest plank and found that a huge stack of new-to-us books to take along. (The hard part has been keeping my kids from reading them before the big trip!

Shade by Number Addition Pages

My Seven asked for color by number pages. I wanted to make something which would challenge her and give her something she loves, so I put addition facts on those fairy tale figures. You can find the listing of ten complimentary pages by visiting this particular post.

Snacks, Snacks... and Much More Snacks

And What would a lengthy car ride be without snacks? We don't usually have prepackaged snacks in our house, but I am making this trip an exception. I'm packing mini chocolate chip cookies, honey graham sticks, crispy cheddar crackers, granola bars, and bunny snacks. I'm also packing some dry cereal (a rare treat -- that our children have plain yogurt with only a scatter of cereal for breakfast), string cheese, snap peas, and baby carrots. Plus a brand-new water jug filled with ice water.

No comments:

Post a Comment